Saturday, March 3, 2012

Some Favorite Children's Books

Lotte has more books than I can count since my mom kept all my children’s books. Here are some of my old and new favorites:

What Happened to Patrick’s Dinosaurs?
By Carol Carrick
Illustrated by Donald Carrick
Published 1986

Ever want an easy answer to explain the disappearance of the dinosaurs without all those creation/evolution bothersome details getting in the way? This book is your solution! This is a sequel to “Patrick’s Dinosaurs,” but this one has always been my favorite of the two. I love the silliness of the this story, but the certainty of Patrick’s explanation makes you wonder, maybe the dinosaurs really did pack their belongings and take off on a space ship because people were too bossy.






A Woggle of Witches
By Adrienne Adams
Published 1971

An essential Halloween children’s book, this tells the story of the party habits of witches on this night of celebration. The best parts of this book are the delightful illustrations and yelling “Wheee!!!!!” and “Zoooooom!” when read aloud. Although the colors used in the pictures are very dark, and the witches look very much like scary (smiling) witches, this book is whimsical and fun.








Say Hello To Zorro!
By Carter Goodrich
Published 2011

I don’t care if you have children. If you like dogs, you must own this book. This perfectly captures a dog’s approach to life, and is cute, clever and charming. I read it at Barnes and Noble and knew I’d have to own it about 2 pages into it. I’ve read it to Lotte so many times that I nearly have it memorized. “Shift position, and nap some more time!”

By the way, the second book, "Zorro Gets an Outfit," will be out this May. That will definitely be on Pre-Order from Amazon for me.


Little Bear’s Trousers
By Jane Hissey
Published in 1987

This is a story about a little stuffed bear’s quest to find his lost pants. I love Hissey’s books for their enchanting and realistic illustrations of animated stuffed animals. I have an art print from one of the Old Bear books framed in Lotte’s room. The story is a little long, but I love flipping through it just to look at cute Little Bear and his friends.








Benjy’s Dog House
By Margaret Bloy Graham
Published 1973

Graham illustrated “Harry the Dirty Dog,” but I prefer this story. Poor Benjy gets banished to his ugly barrel dog house, and decides to explore the village he lives in. A run in with a scary cat and a binge-on-meat-pies induced nightmare teaches his family a valuable lesson about not leaving your dog outside. This books stirs up a lot of nostalgia for me, and I think that’s why I love it so much.








Go Dog Go
By P.D. Eastman
Published 1961

Best children’s book of all time, without question. Nothing else to say.












Found this when doing a google search...thought it was appropriate:

No comments:

Post a Comment